by Kristie LeVangie
There are many reasons I love Pinterest, but yesterday afternoon, I found a new one.
I openly admit that I’m a recipe pinner. I’ve gotten a lot of great ideas and stocked them away for future use. Granted most of them were before my carb-free lifestyle, so now, I have 2 boards for recipes: Favorite Recipes (both healthy and not so much) and A Healthy Outlook (healthy, low carb recipes).
And yesterday after perusing Atkin’s recipe board, I found a recipe of something I’ve been missing since my cutting carbs began and I immediately had a craving for…
And it can be healthy without the crust, of course.
Here’s what I did last night. Eat your hearts out and try THIS immediately!
1. Start with a casserole dish. I used my Pyrex 11″ x 7″ dish. Spray with Pam to prevent sticking and help with clean-up.
2. Prepare ingredients:
- 1 roll Bob Evans sausage– cooked, drained and crumbled
- 30 – 40 slices of pepperoni
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 red onion, diced
- 10 mushrooms, sliced (I used Baby Portabellas)
- 1 small can black olive slices
- 1 jar of marinara, your choice (I used Vodka sauce since it was in my pantry)
- 1 bag of fat-free Mozarella cheese
3. Put sausage and pepperoni slices in bottom of dish, mix and spread out to cover bottom.
4. Toss in veggies and spread layer over the meats.
5. Pour marinara over the vegetables and spread across the dish.
6. Sprinkle cheese over the top.
7. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes or until cheese is melted.
8. Cut and serve.
Nutritional Info Count =
- Sausage = 1440 calories, 120g fat, 0g net carbs, 120g protein
- Pepperonis = 373 calories, 32.2g fat, 2.0g net carbs, 16.3g protein
- Green pepper = 23 calories, 0.2 fat, 3.4g net carbs, 1g protein
- Red onion = 48 calories, <0.1 fat, 10g net carbs, 1.1g protein
- Mushrooms = 44 calories, 0.2 fat, 6.0g net carbs, 5g protein
- Small can black olive slices = 138 calories, 11.7g fat, 5.2g net carbs, 1.6g protein
- Jar of marinara = 361 calories, 10.9g fat, 42.2g net carbs, 10.4g protein
- Bag of fat-free Mozarella cheese = 360 calories, 0g fat, 16g net carbs, 64g protein
We divided ours into 8 servings, so nutritional info per serving was:
- Calories = 348.4
- Fat = 21.9g
- Net Carbs = 10.6g
- Protein = 27.4g
To cut fat intake, try a veggie only version, a sausage substitute or turkey pepperoni.
To cut carbs further, pick up a jar of carb-friendly marinara at your local health food store.