by Kristie LeVangie
Broccoli Cheddar Jalapeno FrittersServing Size: About 10 fritters Serve with alone or with lime wedges and sour cream.
What you will need:
- 1 cup of steamed broccoli, slightly cooled and diced into very small pieces
- 4 green onions, finely diced
- 1 fresh jalapeno pepper, minced
- 1 lime, for both its juice and its zest
- 1/4 cup of finely chopped cilantro
- 2 cups cooled cooked quinoa
- 1/2 cup grated extra sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/3 cups of self-rising flour
- Olive or vegetable oil for pan frying
What to do:
Place the cooked broccoli, cooked quinoa, cheese, jalapeno pepper, green onions, lime zest, cilantro, milk, salt and eggs in a large bowl. Add the self-rising flour to the bowl and stir everything together. (NOTE: Feel free to add a bit more flour if it seems too wet. They should have the consistency of salmon cakes.)
Heat a large nonstick frying pan on medium-high heat with about 4 tablespoons of oil.
Drop the batter into the hot pan. I suggest using a 1/3 or 1/2 cup measuring cup to ensure even portions.
Cook until golden brown. Then, flip.
I served this up with a marinated chicken breasts and more steamed broccoli for a healthy and nutritious, fiber-packed meal.
Add a bit of Mexican flair and substitute the sour cream with Greek yogurt for a healthier, more protein-ramped option.
You will not be disappointed with this one. These are addictive!