by Pitmaster Jimi James
What do you do when you want Chinese? Make it at home in your very own slow cooker/Crock-Pot, of course.
Today I’m sharing an easy recipe that goes well over long grain rice, brown rice or instant rice. Personally, I like brown rice. Of course, I don’t do my brown rice by the box, but that’s a different article! This is a chicken recipe you can get going in the morning and have it ready by game time!!! FOOTBALL and FALL– my two favorites of the whole year.
Let’s look at this easy Orange Chicken.
What you will need:
You will need a frying pan and a Crock-Pot and…
2 lbs. boneless/skinless chicken thighs, cubed into 1.5” to 2” pieces
2 cups all-purpose flour
3 to 4 Tbsp. canola oil
1. Take your frying pan, add your oil and set the pan on medium to medium-high heat. We are not going to cook the chicken all the way. We are just browning the chicken and giving it texture for the sauce to stick to.
2. While your pan and oil are heating up, dice your chicken.
3. Now, dredge your chicken in your flour. Once you have all your chicken pieces covered in flour, slowly put them in your frying pan. SLOWLY!!! Cooking safety is first. Remember, we are just browning the chicken– not cooking it. Once all your chicken pieces are browned, put chicken on paper towels to get extra oil off.
4. Put your diced chicken into your Crock-Pot.
Now for the sauce…
(I can’t wait for the game!)
1 can of Orange Juice concentrate unthawed
¼ cup + 1 Tbsp. Orange Marmalade
¼ cup + 1 Tbsp. Dark Brown Sugar
¼ cup your favorite BBQ sauce
1 tsp. Balsamic vinegar
½ tsp. ground ginger
- add some heat with a tsp. of crushed red pepper
In a bowl, add all the ingredients and whisk until everything is mixed and combined together.
Now, pour the sauce over the chicken and turn the Crock-Pot on high for 3 to 4 hours. Make sure you stir the chicken every 30 to 45 minutes. The sauce will thicken and make your place smell awesome.
When time is just about up go ahead and make you rice according to the directions on the box or bag. When chicken is done, put the chicken on top of your rice and BASH!!!!
Stay hungry, my friends. Until next time!!!